Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Adventures
                                The Jackie Chan Adventures
                        The Happiest Place On Earth - DisneyLand
                                            PART 3
 
    At the same moment inside the cabin mumbling sounds can be heard coming from Raphael who just woke up and Tohru who also awakened from his slumber, both appear to be talking about the upcoming NBA FINALS of 2002.
 
TOHRU
    Ok, I'm betting on the Lakers to capture another title a 3-peat to add to the 2 trophies they already won in 2000 and 2001.
RAPHAEL
    Oh yeah, just like Michael Jordan and the Bulls did back in the 90s.  That would be something I'd like to see.  But they first have to survive the Playoffs including the Western Conference Finals before making it back to the World Championship.
TOHRU
    I know they can do it.  On the other hand who knows what opponents they will face from the East if L.A. does make it all the way?
RAPHAEL
    Whoa, man.  We'll just have to wait and see.
 
    Then Venus happens to wake up upon hearing this conversation of betting and it worries her so she is quick to respond.
 
VENUS
    You shouldn't bet.  That sets a bad example for the viewers at home.
RAPHAEL <Surprised>
    What?  Someone's watching us?  I didn't know I was famous.
TOHRU
    Huh??? <Puzzled> You are a movie star.
RAPHAEL
    Of course I am.  First in cartoons and then in live action movies and finally live action television series.
VENUS
    Uh-huh, <Smirks>
TOHRU
    Wow!  So you, Don, Mike & Leo starred in live action film based on the comicbook series and cartoon show.
RAPHAEL
    You got that right.  Hey, <Says to De Milo> I wasn't betting on sports like you said I was...we were predicting who was going to win the 2002 NBA FINALS.
VENUS
    Oh, correct me if I'm wrong. <Glowers> But it sounded like you were waging high bets on money between each other or maybe you were not.
TOHRU
    Oops, heh-heh. <Grins weakly> It's wrong to gamble or bet.
RAPHAEL
    Nuts, bummer.  So we have a deal?
TOHRU
    Deal. <They shake on it> All we do now is wait and predict who will win.
VENUS
    Good grief! <Throws up hands, rolls eyes> I give up. <Turns back in her seat and goes back to sleep>
TOHRU & RAPHAEL
    NOT! <Flip bird sign & stick out tongues>
 
    However De Milo did not hear them insult her.  Back in the cockpit Chan, Donatello & Ninjara continue to watch the audio-video tour of DisneyLand and the magic behind the scenes.
 
JACKIE CHAN
    Here comes more of how the attractions were built and audio animatronics that were used to create illusions.
NINJARA
    What's audio animatronics anyway?
DONATELLO
    Is that some kind of magic?
JACKIE CHAN
    In a way of speaking...yes.  Watch and learn. <Hits the PLAY button>
 
    Again the show plays on-screen with music & narration...
 
NARRATOR
    Even when Walt realized his guests didn't want thrill rides he made them look like toys.  The Matterhorn ride ran through a scaled simulation of a mountain.  The cars were designed as bobsleds.
 
    Guests riding in sleds race around sharp turns, drop down hills, enter ice tunnels & caverns while avoiding the Yeti who roars and reaches out to grab the passing sleds.  Then splashing down in a small lagoon at the bottom of the mountain before the auto-brakes engage to slow the cars down at the load-unload dock.
 
NARRATOR
    This would create a new generation of rides.  Almost anything in the park was brought to life by a new form of Disney technology called audio animatronics.
 
    At this point another voice is replaced by the latter explaining how this new special effect was used during construction of a dark ride called Pirates Of The Caribbean which was an idea Walt came up with in the first place.
 
NARRATOR #2
    As its name implies audio animatronics begins with sound.  Recorded on tape the sound can be played back almost anytime always on cue.  The coined word to audio animatronics represents a special kind of 3D animation.  Here's a rehearsal scene where the town mayor is dunked in well every 24 hours.
 
    Image shows a humanoid robot pulling on a rope tied to a helpless robot sitting in a chair being lifted out of the well into the air.
 
NARRATOR #2
    The third key to audio animatronics is the electronics of the space age.  Using complex electronics & equipment these specialists are programming every move of every pirate and also the more subtle movements of their prisoners.
 
    Disney employees can be seen checking-double checking the computer systems making sure all robotics work perfectly as other designers make last minute inspections on the machines to be sure no malfunctions occur.
 
NARRATOR #2
    When all 3 elements...sound, animation & electronics were finally brought together and synchronized the pirates began to come to life.
TALKING SKULL
    Ye come seeking adventure in salty old pirates, aye?  Sure ye come to the proper place.  But keep a weather eye open mates and hold on tight with both hands if you please, heheheheeh...
 
    Suddenly the guests in the boat scream in pretend terror as they plunge down waterfalls into the dark underground caverns below.  Now a ghostly evil voice echoes a familiar phrase over and over, saying...
 
GHOSTLY VOICE
    DEAD MEN TELL NO TALES!!!
NARRATOR <The original one>
    The Pirates Of The Caribbean was a new kind of entertainment.  Here people glided through a series of tableaus and just needed to sit back and relax.  This was Disney technology as only a motion picture studio could accomplish.
PIRATE CAPTAIN <Threatens fort defenders from his ship>
    Strike yer colors ya blooming cockroachers!  By thunder we'll see ya to Davey Jones.
DONATELLO
    Wow, cool.  Pirates that look and sound like the real thing but are not real.
JACKIE CHAN
    That's the whole idea, to trick people into believing they are witnessing real events happening before them.
NINJARA
    Incredible, I never would have guessed.
 
    Now another image appears on the vid-screen resembling an old man with bald head and partial hair talking about this dark ride attraction.  This is Marc Davis the one who helped create the attraction Walt personally supervised before his death.
 
MARC DAVIS
    Walt came into my office one day and he said, I like to do an attraction on Pirates, uh, maybe Pirates Of The Caribbean.  And he described this as a real swashbuckling kind of adventure.  So, um, this was the very beginning.
NARRATOR
    The designing team was recruited from Disney Studios.  Marc Davis was one of Disney's so-called "9 Old Men Of Animation" the studio's leading animator.  Originally Davis specialized in female characters, including Tinkerbell who had tangled with one or two pirates in her days.
MARC DAVIS
    So I thought this is great.  So I got books from the library on pirates and all that kind of stuff.  And I remember when I was a kid seeing a Lawrence Chainey film and he had something in his eye something I'll never forget.  And I have one pirate that has a white eye.
NARRATOR
    Disney loved to entertain people but sometimes he worried about the costs.
 
    The next scene reveals the dunking scene in the town plaza as the captain threatens the mayor to tell him where the treasures be hidden while his wife opens the shutters of their apartment upstairs and shouts down to her husband not to give into their demands.  One pirate shoots at her with his rifle causing the woman to scream and slam the shutters closed while simultaneously another pirate releases his grip on the rope sending the poor mayor falling back into the well below the surface resulting in splashing sounds.
 
MARC DAVIS
    The inscription here was changed because, <He points to a sketch drawing of the dunking scene> I had a hook on the captain's left or right hand and Walt said no, why don't you get rid of that and put his hand on the well so we don't have to animate so much.  So, ah, economically he lost his hook. <Turns the next page> And these are closeups of the mayor. <Turns next page> And this here is a closeup of the man pulling him up.
 
    Scene shows pirate tugging-lifting on rope and the mayor is raised into the open again, spitting water from his mouth while it runs down his head & face.  Again his wife flings open the shutters and yells down to him.
 
MAYOR's WIFE
    Don't tell him, don't be chicken! <Gunshots fired her way> Aaaaaaaah! <Screams and shuts window closed>
MARC DAVIS
    We celebrated the 25th Anniversary of this attraction and I was amazed to find out at that time that 290-million people had gone through that attraction.  And you know to work so hard on it that makes you feel real good about it.  And it still is the #1 attraction in DisneyLand.
 
    Then the audio-video story ends and the screen blanks out.  Chan ejects the CD from the player and clips it back into its box and returns it to his pocket.
 
JACKIE CHAN
    And that's the story of DisneyLand, for now that is.
NINJARA
    Is there anymore secrets behind the scenes coming?
DONATELLO
    Yeah, what's next?
JACKIE CHAN
    Maybe, I think I may have some more CDs available.  I'll go look. <And he disappears into the cabin>
NINJARA
    Cool, now we know everything we need to know about DL.
DONATELLO
    Awesome lady.  So when we arrive we'll be able to find out ourselves how the attractions work.
NINJARA
    But, <Warns him> we must not tell everybody or else it would spoil-ruin the illusion or magic of DisneyLand.  Keep it to ourselves.
DONATELLO
    Agreed. <Shakes on it>
 
                                        END OF PART III

<- Part 2 | Back to Index | Part 4 ->